• "gorski" is male
  • "gorski" started this thread

Activitypoints: 5,375

Date of registration: Aug 12th 2017

net.hawkes.userlevel.level 32 [?]

net.hawkes.userlevel.experience 400,249

net.hawkes.userlevel.nextlevel 453,790

Friday, January 25th 2019, 1:30pm

Structuring PurE2: mounting devices/partitions in Device Manager, what to send where!

In this thread I will share a few tips - the best practice type of tips - as to how to configure your PurE2 best, so it functions at peak efficency...

Context and principles

PurE2 is a unique image in many respects! That means, it is quite a bit different from all other images, giving users more control over the image than any other team!

One of them is continuing the best of PowerBoard tradition (we are the heirs to its proud name!), when it comes to Device Manager! It gives users the option to kill Automounting/AutoFS, i.e. "dynamic mounting" in favour of fixed mounting, so user knows which device/partition is where and that it will stay like that and no swapping of places will happen, which would render image considerably less functional.

Autodetection of newly connected devices is still there, they will be auto-mounted, but you have the individual device/partition control as to mounting them as /media/hdd or media/usb, for instance, which is very important!

How to kill Automounting

MENU > pManager > Device Manager > Mount Manager > blue button > yellow button (to switch Automount OFF) > Exit > do this for all devices/partitions that you want fixed.

Do not restart PurE2 yet!

Now, mount them as you want them to be - permanently

Mounting devices/partitions in a fixed manner via FSTAB file is done as follows...

This you can do either by using the MENU or the BLUE button, then using the > or < buttons on your remote, changing the mounts, for example like this:

-USB memory stick as /media/usb (there are also usb1, usb2... if you have more than one)

-HDD or SSD (single partition device) as /media/hdd (there are also hdd1, hdd2...)

So, if you have more such devices plugged into your STB you have plenty of options to mount them as you see fit.

When you are done with them all > press OK to write it into the FSTAB file, then you will see a window offering you 3 options > choose RESTART THE BOX. The box reboots.

(If it doesn't work the first time round, the second time it will be as you want it to be!)

Why is this important?

Imagine "dynamic mounting" when you restart and the devices swap places - all your carefully structured folders would not be found. A nightmare for E2, in some cases. Why?

This is how you should structure your PurE2 to have it all functioning well for longer, by not burdening the Flash needlessly and PurE2 can find what it needs with ease...

Do not put/send picons, SWAP, cache, buffering etc. on devices with moving parts, like HDD. Make and/or direct them to USB sticks (they are cheap and fast nowadays). So:

SWAP file, if you need it, is made on USB stick. (PurE2 has a SWAP Manager built-in!)

Picons are kept on USB stick (picon folder is on media/usb/picon - Picon Path plugin is built into PurE2!)

EPG goes to USB stick > /media/usb (in MENU > Setup > System > EPG > EPG settinsg > button to the right > /media/usb > OK/save)

Buffering for E2iPlayer goes to /media/usb/Buffer

Cache for it also goes to USB stick: /media/usb/E2iP Cache

Temporary data for E2iPlayer - I recommend /media/usb/Cache or make a folder for it /media/usb/tmp (the default one is limited and E2iPlayer is made to seek for 1,5GB of space).

Downloads location for E2iPlayer should be /media/hdd.

Recording and instant recording, plus Timeshift should go to HDD/SSD! Nothing else!

MENU > Setup > System > Recoding settings > /media/hdd/movie

MENU > Setup > System > Timeshift settings > /media/hdd/timeshift

Note: for some of these settings to be changed it is enough to move the cursor on either side of OK button (< or >) on your remote control.

But for some, like Recording, one must press OK button, sometimes several times, go up and down with V and ^ buttons, usually until you see various devices/location you mounted or simply have in your Enigma2 by default, like Internal Flash (or the name of your HDD or USB stick or perhaps NAS mounted folder/partition).

Go to it, for instance, then press OK > media > and then choose where you want to place/send/direct the items I discussed earlier, as directed by me or as you see fit.

Now, your PurE2 will purr... :4_small16:
http://braungardt.trialectics.com/philos…/enlightenment/ - I. Kant, "Political writings" (1784), the jolly text on Enlightenment, at the basis of Modernity...

5 registered users thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

atari (25.01.2019), Eiweiss (26.01.2019), rufus960 (12.03.2019), ngc.ie (02.06.2019), 007.4 (16.10.2019)

gorski

PurE2-Supporter

• "gorski" is male

Saturday, June 15th 2019, 8:23pm

Configure your Remote Control (RC) the way you want it to behave

PurE2 > MENU > Setup > System > Keyboard/RC > Button Setup > do whatever you want with the buttons... :4_small16:

As if that wasn't enough in Keyboard/RC you have "Extra Button setup" whereby you can do all sorts... Have a look at the screenshots, please...

0) First de-assign whatever is already assigned to a button you want mapped differently. So, choose/press a button, press OK to de-assign it, Save and Exit...

1) Again, simply press the button you want to assign a certain function to (say, ^ button above OK button) and you will see this:

index.php?page=Attachment&attachmentID=12882

2) Then, you find the function you want to assign to it in the following menu and choose it by pressing OK:

index.php?page=Attachment&attachmentID=12883

3) Press the green button to Save it and that's it.

Also, one has menus for different "Keyboards, "Keymaps" etc.

So, remember this: PurE2 is the most malleable image around! The principle of this image is "give as much control to the user as possible"!!!

From Estuary skin itself (see Estuary config in Plugins) to Device Manager and onwards...
http://braungardt.trialectics.com/philos…/enlightenment/ - I. Kant, "Political writings" (1784), the jolly text on Enlightenment, at the basis of Modernity...

3 registered users thanked already.

jack1.9 (15.06.2019), Newworld (15.06.2019), umbra (16.06.2019)

risbo

Intermediate

• "risbo" is male

Activitypoints: 295

Date of registration: Apr 1st 2019

net.hawkes.userlevel.level 14 [?]

net.hawkes.userlevel.experience 5,373

net.hawkes.userlevel.nextlevel 5,517

Sunday, June 16th 2019, 4:33pm

device

but, how can i make two fixed partitions on usb. one media/usb and other media/hdd fixed mount. as it could be done with devicemanager. i have vuzero4k with one usb input -bier-

jack1.9

Ich war es nicht !

• "jack1.9" is male

Activitypoints: 96,050

Date of registration: Jul 22nd 2012

net.hawkes.userlevel.level 57 [?]

net.hawkes.userlevel.experience 30,928,950

net.hawkes.userlevel.nextlevel 35,467,816

Sunday, June 16th 2019, 7:25pm

I never try this , I use a Usb stick for media HDD and a HDD as media HDD1
Nur wer über seinen Schatten springt wird in der Sonne landen !!!

gorski

PurE2-Supporter

• "gorski" is male

Sunday, June 16th 2019, 8:58pm

As I wrote, in your PC using Mini Tool Partition Wizard... Make 2 partitions in EXT4 and then use Device Manager in your STB to mount them as you see fit/need...

1 registered user thanked already.

risbo (17.06.2019)

risbo

Intermediate

• "risbo" is male

Monday, June 17th 2019, 9:29am

i thought so. no problem, i use easeus partition. thnx

samot4

Trainee

Activitypoints: 20

Date of registration: Oct 9th 2019

net.hawkes.userlevel.level 5 [?]

net.hawkes.userlevel.experience 128

net.hawkes.userlevel.nextlevel 173

Wednesday, October 16th 2019, 3:40pm

This device manager is a nightmare.
I have vu+uno4k with 3 usb harddrives that I have been using for years never a problem to mount them as hdd,usb and video.
So the video option is not aviable her so I mount them as hdd,usb and usb 2.Restart.Sda1 is mounted as hdd,sdb1 is mounted as usb2,sdc1 is mounted as sdc1 should be usb.I unmount
try agin.Now sda1 is mounted as sda1(should be hdd),sdb1 is mounted as usb and usb2,sdc1 is mounted as sdc1(should be usb).
So I disable automount for all three devices.Try again.No go.Now sdb1 is the only hd that mounts corectly.
So I try and edit fstab manually.My editing is ignored.
I allso realise that I cant use the usb port on the side to mount hd.I used to have hdd hd mounted there and the two others via usbhub here I have to use usbhub for all three.
To be able to use expert settings is a plus but if that makes things overcomplicated,wehats the point?

Update.
Finaly got 2 hdds working.Cant get 3 to work together.If I disable automont fstab cfg is ignored an none of the hdds mount.
The usb on the sife works but disconects the hdd after some time.
I will have to accept 2 hdds only.
Othervise Im impressed by this image.Especially by how well subtitles works in enhanced mediacenter.
In BH imeges they work on some movies and not on others, some works in mediaplayer 2 others not at all.Soimetimes embeded works and somtimes external subtitle files work.
So thanks for an image where they work.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "samot4" (Oct 16th 2019, 3:40pm)

gorski

PurE2-Supporter

• "gorski" is male

Wednesday, October 16th 2019, 11:44pm

From my extensive testing/experience - your report is wrong...

Having said that - I do not have your box...

Are 2 or all 3 HDDs the same?

Are you using USB hub?

risbo

Intermediate

• "risbo" is male

Thursday, October 17th 2019, 10:45am

on vuzer4k no problem at all. one usb, with two partitions. i use first as hd, and second as usb.

2 registered users thanked already.

gorski (17.10.2019), delfi (17.10.2019)

gorski

PurE2-Supporter

• "gorski" is male

Thursday, October 17th 2019, 12:51pm

We pride ourselves not only on a great image $%&/ but also on proper user help, so here goes... :EVERYD~313:

From what I can see (since you are not giving us all the relevant data, so I must play a detective), Vu+Uno 4K has only 2 USB ports:

Quoted

1x USB 3.0 (Side)
1x USB 3.0 (Rear)

In that case, you are using a USB hub to get 3 HDDs running. Correct?

So, Device Manager - I would say - is not a nightmare!

Instead, most probably, you need to learn how to use your USB hub.

Is it self-powered or not? If not - find a powered one, to get enough electricity to get it all going, if your external USB HDDs are not self-powered... And I presume they are not.

So, you need to plug one of the HDDs into the USB hub and see how it is detected and automounted. Reboot. Note it down.

Then, plug in another and see how it is detected and automounted. Restart. Check it again, to see if they swapped places. If they have, physically swap their USB slots, reboot again and see. They must be stable while automounting, if you do not want to kill autmounting off.

One more plugged in - check how it is detected and automounted. Restart and check again, to see if they swapped places. When you achieve stability - it'll be OK...

All that provided, that is, at least 2 of them or all of them are not the same (the same company, the same model - which may be a problem?).

From my experience AutoFS will tend to change things with USB hubs, if you force the devices plugged into the USB hub to be mounted differently to the way they are 'normally' auto-mounted.

So, I learnt from my AUKRU self-powered 4-way USB 3.0 hub to first:

1) plugin my HDD, in the slot farthest from the electricity and USB cables, as the machine is normally looking for a HDD mount first (automounted as /media/hdd), then

2) the USB stick next to it (autmounted as /media/usb), then

3) I use the cooling fan but you could mount your 3rd USB HDD here as something else, like /media/cf.

Restart and check again... :3_small30: Mind you, with your USB hub things might have to be plugged in an opposite manner, HDD close to the electricity cables...?? You have to experiment and see...

Good luck! :4_small16:

umbra (28.10.2019)

gorski

PurE2-Supporter

• "gorski" is male

Monday, October 28th 2019, 2:52pm

This device manager is a nightmare.
I have vu+uno4k with 3 usb harddrives that I have been using for years never a problem to mount them as hdd,usb and video.

So, samot4 - any good news? Have you sorted it out better after reading my post?

gorski

PurE2-Supporter

• "gorski" is male

Saturday, November 16th 2019, 2:32am

H7 3 devices hooked and mounted... :4_small16:
gorski has attached the following file:

gorski

PurE2-Supporter

• "gorski" is male

Saturday, November 16th 2019, 4:13am

And now H9.2H with self-powered USB HUB (4 ports), also no problem...

3 devices neatly mounted!
gorski has attached the following file:

gorski

PurE2-Supporter

• "gorski" is male

Saturday, November 16th 2019, 4:29am

OK, I now added a fourth device, 3 of which are USB devices, using the above mentioned USB self-powered hub and all 4 are seen and mounted...

So, H9.2H with USB hub, mSD card inserted and mounted, plus 1HDD via USB and 2 USB sticks via the same hub...

If one presses FILE LIST button on RCU one gets this:

delfi (16.11.2019)

gorski

PurE2-Supporter

• "gorski" is male

Saturday, November 16th 2019, 4:31am

Delfi's instructions: MAKE SURE YOU UMOUNT/UNMOUNT/DISMOUNT A USB DEVICE PROPERLY, OTHERWISE THERE MAY BE TROUBLE WITH KERNEL SEEING IT!!!!

delfi

PurE2-Teamleiter

Activitypoints: 12,785

Date of registration: Mar 14th 2013

net.hawkes.userlevel.level 41 [?]

net.hawkes.userlevel.experience 2,495,960

net.hawkes.userlevel.nextlevel 2,530,022

Saturday, November 16th 2019, 6:04pm

Well, as it is a kernel issue, some seem to be more sensitive then others. HiSilicon is likely to make problems if there is a 'dirty bit' ON, be it for mounting or flashing. In short, to avoid being to nerdy, in linux try to umount a device before disconnecting it, or in a FAT32 (flashing/mounting) or NTFS case do a proper eject from win.

1 user apart from you is browsing this thread:

1 guests